Research and Travel Funds

Graduate Student Research and Travel Fund Policy


New Travel & Entertainment Policy effective 05/01/2009 can be found at:


SASgov Travel Grant:

It is designed to support a wide range of academic and professional travel. Eligible travel includes:

o   Presentation or attendance at academic conferences

o   Participation in professional development workshops

o   Travel for academic job interviews, either at conferences or institutions, if not provided for by the potential employer

Applications are reviewed by the Finance and Public Affairs committees on a rolling basis at twice-monthly General Body meetings. To ensure prompt review of your application, please be sure to submit the form as well as your itemized budget by the Sunday prior to the Tuesday GB meeting at which you'd like your application read. 

Amount: up to $500


SAS Travel Subvention for PhD Candidates:

      The travel grants awarded by the Graduate Dean covers up to $600 in expenses.  Funds may be used to cover any eligible travel expenses consistent with University policy.


o    Please plan accordingly, as the SAS Travel Subvention Form must be submitted to SAS Finance and Administration BEFORE the trip.

o    Your dissertation advisor or sponsoring faculty member must sign the application form as a faculty advisor.  After you receive approval from your faculty advisor, please submit the form to Paul Newlon for Director of Graduate Studies's signature

o    After the trip, students must submit the reimbursement request through Penn Concur.

Amount: up to $600

Website: Funding for Individuals — SASGov (


 GAPSA Research Student Travel Fund

The GAPSA travel grant should be a last resort for funding; the student is expected to have attempted to secure funding from other sources before submitting a GAPSA travel grant application.  Students may request up to $500 or half of their total travel expense, whichever is less.

Check out their website for deadline information -


 Psychology Department Graduate Student Research and Travel Fund 

      The department has two gift funds that can provide support for graduate research and travel including summer project. Both gift funds can provide non-trivial amounts of funding, certainly in the range of $3000 per project. Smaller projects can also be funded. If you have a project that would be enabled by such support (to be used for research or conference, travel, or both), please fill out “Request for Graduate Student Financial Research Support Form” and send it to Paul Newlon. The request will be reviewed on a monthly basis.


Please note: reimbursements from the funds listed below will count toward the fiscal year in which you submit the receipts for the trip in question. For example, if you take a trip at the end of fiscal year 2011 but submit receipts in FY 2012, that trip will count as your disbursement from the relevant fund for fiscal year 2012. The fiscal year begins July 1 and ends June 30. Fiscal years bear the number of the calendar year in which they end (e.g., FY 2012 runs from July 1, 2011 thru June 20, 2012).

For travel fund, all travel reimbursements must be submitted within 182 (6 months) of the ending date of a trip or event. Failure to do so will result in the expense being declined for reimbursement. We encourage you to submit your request within 14 days for the ending date of the trip or event.

All the reimbursement requests are made via Penn Concur